The constituents of vaccines are a bit scary in and of themselves, especially when you realize they are going into 7 lb. infants, or 18 lb. toddlers. I am just not anti-vaccination. Neither am I pro-vaccination. I’ve been looking at this matter for fifteen years. I’ve talked with parents that are certain that a vaccination caused their children’s autism. I’ve also talked with experts who are equally certain that vaccinations do not cause autism or any other developmental disorder.
So, let’s just get started with something basic. Precisely what is in a vaccination?
1) Antigens: The infectious agent will be the primary constituent of each vaccine. These include antigens including hepatitis B, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus (DTP), haemophilus influenzae B (Hib), inactivated polio virus (IPV), and pneumococcal antigen (one reason for pneumonia).
2) Aluminum: This is employed to increase the antigenic response by trapping the antigen and creating a slow discharge of it. Aluminum inside the blood is associated to allergy, motor paralysis, local numbness, fatty degeneration of kidneys and liver, learning disabilities, dementia, and seizures.
3) Formaldehyde: This can be utilized to inactivate the bacterial and viral antigens. Contact with formaldehyde is associated with cancer, vertigo, coma, and death. There is no known threshold level below which there is certainly not a threat of cancer.
4) Thimerosal: Also called merthiolate, thimerosal comes from mercury and has been used as a preservative and disinfectant in vaccines. Mercury is one of the most potent neurotoxins recognized to humans. In July 1999, the FDA requested that manufacturers of vaccines remove thimerosal from Usa licensed vaccines. This occurred after it had been revealed that cumulative exposure of infants to mercury during the first six months of life exceeded EPA guidelines. Thimersol is still found in flu vaccines and in vaccines distributed in other countries. Recent research is showing that thimerosal is much more prevalent in vaccines now than it absolutely was in 1999!
5) Other Components: Included in this are phenol which is used inside the extraction process of making vaccines and it is a very toxic substance derived from coal tar which can cause shock, convulsions, cardiac failure, kidney failure, and death. Ethanol, methanol, isopropyl and 2 phenoxyethanol are alcohols which can be used as antiseptics to hinder the expansion and reproduction of microorganisms in vaccines. And there are the unwanted or unknown components that only occur along the way. It is particularly difficult to establish reasons for adverse reactions because of these unknown substances.
So, what exactly are we to make with this? I’m unsure. Does it mean vaccines are unsafe? I don’t know. Are these substances I would personally knowingly inject into my own, personal children’s bloodstreams? No — not without some solid, compelling evidence that it will be for their benefit.
Vaccine proponents say the proof of benefit is obvious. Vaccine opponents say the proof benefit is way from clear and this the science behind vaccinations is quite shabby. Before you make a decision, weigh the sumlds carefully. On the pro side of vaccinations, check out the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov). For the con side of vaccinations, check out the National Vaccine Information Center (nvic.org).